To review: CALORIES IN-CALORIES OUT=CALORIC DEFICIT. A caloric deficit of 3500 will burn one pound of FAT! Not all calories are created equally, however. 500 calories worth of chicken, broccoli and brown rice is not the same as 500 calories worth of Twinkies! Choose healthy, nutritionally dense foods and this equation will work to help you lose fat.
I previously gave you 4 exercise tips to address the "calories out" part of the equation.Check it out here if you missed it!
This article will help you to lose body fat with 7 nutrition tips you can begin using today. I have heard many times from people why they cannot lose fat, "I know what to do I just don't do it", is the tune that is sung to me over and over again and it's not a pretty tune! Hopefully, I can teach those people something they don't know and something that is not too difficult to change, so that they will actually do it!
1) Change the way your dinner plate looks. Many people, who struggle with their weight, have a plate consisting of ½ high-calorie simple carbohydrates (potato, rice, or pasta), ¼ vegetable and ¼ meat. Try this for a change. Fill your plate with ½ vegetables, ¼ meat (lean chicken/fish), and only ¼ carb (use brown rice or sweet potato). You will be just as full and satisfied and you will have consumed far less calories.
2) Eat more slowly and have a glass of water with your meal. When you eat too fast, you may be more likely to go for seconds. It takes about 15-20 minutes before your brain sends out signals of fullness. Taking a sip of water between each bite will slow you down and help to fill your stomach. If you have to go back for more, have more broccoli!
3) Speaking of water, it should be your "go to" drink, most of the time. High-calorie fruit drinks, soda, milk and of course alcohol, can derail your path to fat loss. Diet soda, vitamin water, and sports drinks are no better. Our bodies are made up of about 60% water, not Diet Pepsi! You should drink half your body weight (in ounces) of water every day (even more on hot days). So if you weigh 180 pounds you should have 90 ounces of water.
4) Follow the 90% compliance rule. Eating healthy, 4 or 5 out of 7 days will not get you to your goal. Your "cheat" day should be just that, 1 day! When you get to your goal and want to maintain, then you can be compliant 80% of the time. Ask yourself what is stronger, your desire to stuff your face or your desire to be leaner, stronger and healthier? Was that "all you can eat" buffet brunch worth it?
5) Eat protein at each meal. Protein builds muscle and leaves you more satisfied. In a study published in Nutrition Metabolism, dieters who increased their protein intake to 30 percent of their diet took in nearly 450 fewer calories a day and lost about 11 pounds over the 12-week study without employing any other dietary measures. The best protein comes from animal sources, such as skinless white chicken or turkey, eggs, seafood, low-fat dairy, pork tenderloin, and lean beef.
6) Keep a food journal during your quest to lose weight. Write down everything you put in your mouth and the portion size. This takes some work and dedication, but the rewards will be great! Would you rather take the easy route and be overweight or put in the extra time and be fit? Besides, with all the time you spend on Facebook or watching Duck Dynasty, you could be journaling!
7) Skip the sauce, gravy, and the high-calorie condiments. Ketchup, mayonnaise, most salad dressings, sour cream, and butter can add extra sugar, fat and therefore calories, to your meal. Try these lower-calorie flavor enhancers instead:
- Balsamic vinegar and a splash of olive oil on salads
- Mustard, salsa or teriyaki on meats
- Cinnamon on your baked sweet potato
- Herbs and spices on meat, vegetables, and brown rice
- Frank's Hot Sauce on everything!
The key to changing your body and to improving your health is to make lifestyle changes such as these. I know it's difficult to make a lot of changes at once. Try one or two of these tips each week, stay disciplined, and I guarantee you will start to feel better and live better in no time!